1. The Call
Kenyatta University is pleased to announce M.Sc and PhD scholarships available through the German Academic Exchange Services (DAAD) funding support. DAAD promotes international academic exchange as well as educational cooperation with developing countries through various funding and scholarship programmes. These scholarships will benefit scholars from Kenya and the Sub-Saharan African region to pursue studies in selected M.Sc and PhD Programmes as highlighted below. The scholarships are tenable for 2020/2021 academic period that will commence in September 2020; therefore, only candidates available to start the training during this period should apply.
2. List of Eligible Programmes/ Study fields
The scholarships are open to students who are interested/ registered in the following programmes:
- M.Sc in Renewable Energy Technology
- PhD in Biotechnology
- PhD in Environmental Planning and Management
Details about the above programmes and the requirements are accessible here.
Applications are invited from qualified candidates. Female applicants, candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
3. Duration and commencement
Scholarships are available for up to a maximum of two years (Master) and three years (PhD) and will initially be granted for one year but may be extended upon individual student request using a specified form to be provided by DAAD.
4. Application Requirements
i. Applicants must have completed their last university degree less than 6 years ago at the time of application.
ii. Must be nationals of a Sub-Saharan African country.
iii. A signed curriculum vitae; please use the Europass CV template
iv. Certified copies of all university degree certificates (scanned PDFs)
v. Certified copies of all university transcripts (scanned PDFs)
vi. An admission letter including fee structure of respective course (original or certified copy only), or an official letter assuring admission
vii. For Master candidates only:
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages in PDF)
- Academic reference from senior lecturer and proof of employment if applicable (scanned PDF copy)
viii. For Ph.D. candidates only:
- Ph.D. research proposal including a detailed work plan (10 to 15 pages); plagiarism will be checked and limited to a maximum of 24%.
- PhD proposal must demonstrate relevance to development.
- Recommendation letter by head of department indicating that you are a present or prospective member of staff and how you will be integrated into the staff development agenda of the university (scanned PDF copy).
- Confirmation of study leave from your university (if applicable; scanned PDF copy)
- Confirmation of teaching release (university staff members only; scanned PDF copy)
Note: All documents should be scanned and sent as one PDF document except the PhD proposals
PhD Proposal must be in WORD document and properly formatted.
Please note that the university may require certain academic certificates to be qualified by the
Kenya National Qualifications Authority (http://www.knqa.go.ke/) at the applicant’s cost.
5. Application Procedure
i. Applications for Admission to Kenyatta University to be sent to:
The Registrar (Academic), Kenyatta University
P.O. Box 43844 - 00100, Nairobi, Kenya
Application forms for admission to Kenyatta University and other information is available at http://www.ku.ac.ke/admission/prospective-students
6. Application Timelines
i. All applications for scholarships must be received by end of day on 31st January, 2020.
ii. Final selection of the scholarship beneficiaries will be carried out at Kenyatta University by 1st March, 2020.
iii. Selected candidates will be required to log into the DAAD portal https://portal.daad.de/irj/portal to register and submit application documents by 15th April, 2020
iv. All applicants are required to fill this form to provide additional information. Please click here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vgOiOsMJ7RZQwQ0iwfTzx0KiYbwsoq2V4brNBIa3cts/edit?usp=sharing
v. Detailed information on the scholarship and specific requirements is available here